I've had the joy of reading in Samuel this week. It's been rather nice just to have time in the word, not feeling like obligated just invited. It's like when you show up to a party out of obligation, Your parents want you to be there, or it's a friend of a friends get together. You aren't chipping at the bit to be there, it's just your there. Where as if it's something you want, you can hardly wait to get there, you plan your outfit, you leave with more than enough time, you get there awkwardly early and you leave late. It wasn't always an invitation for me to be in my word. Which just shows me how incredibly young and stupid I was. I think in this life we are so used to getting it all, Now. We're like Veruca from Willy Wonka, I want it and I want it now. Which growing up I was very much like that, and even today can be like that. We don't really remember that there are people out there just hoping to glance scripture and we have bibles upon bibles just bringing up dust. I was spoiled as a child, it would be a lie to say I wasn't. As a parent now I find it hard not to spoil my children completely. But taking a step back I am asking myself, is that a need or is it just a want. Because truthfully, why spend the money if it's not a need. God always gives his children there daily bread, and yet we're always like NO, I need more now.
Whenever I am dead set on something, I feel a lot like Saul going after David. Just like a dog hunting down his prey. It's hard to take a step back sometimes. To imagine there are people mostly 1 in particular that knows more than us. I know I am definitely one that likes to be correct. I like my friends to value my opinion like I value theirs. At bible study the other night, God kept tugging at my heart about listening to our friends and family. How we really value you them so much sometimes above God. That we just hold them to the highest knowledge. When that is not there place, no one should be above Him. I took away Pacifiers from thing 1 this week. It's actually been rather productive, which is such a comfort. I had mentally prepared myself for break downs. But there was none- I know I was surprised to. But I told him that we had thrown them in the trash. So every time he asked for them I said, "no they're in the trash." So he would say "trash" and that was that. Just yesterday I threw them out and we haven't had them all week. But you know it was perplexing to me why I was keeping the pacifiers. Like I was holding onto them just in case I needed them? Like I didn't even trust myself to stand firm against my decision as a parent. Not only that , that I was just showing my child that I was going to cave. Because what if I had caved, then the next time it would be ten times worse right? Mom said they were in the trash but then she magically pulled them out of thin air. I gave this one to God completely. It was so freeing when I finally didn't try to take it back and didn't give myself a chance to cave.
"I will be glad because he rescues me. With every bone in my body I will praise him. Lord, who can compare with you? Who else rescues the helpless form the strong?" Psalm 35:9
" David replied to the Philistine, "You come to me with sword, spear, and javelin, but I come to you in the name of the Lord of Heaven's Armies-the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. Today the Lord will conquer you, and I will kill you and cut off your head. And then I will give the dead bodies of your men to the birds and wild animals, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel. And everyone assembled here will know that the Lord rescues his people, but not with sword and spear. This is the Lord's battle, and He will give you to us!" 1 Samuel 17:45-47
God has so much more to give you then your letting him. Don't settle for a Sunday talk with God, live out loud for Him and really spend time with him daily. He'll help you with all your battles and conquer all your enemies. Not always in our timing but always in His. Trust Him,Praise Him, Love Him. God Bless you!
S.
This is beautiful Sarah!!! I love that you call Sam and Natalie Thing 1 and Thing 2 ;)...
ReplyDeleteand i think we all kinda do the same thing you did holding the pacifiers - "just in case". with lots of things in life, particularly reminds me of habitual sin, when Jesus tells us in the gospels that we need to, in a sense, THROW IT OUT! just turn from it and go.
way to throw out those paci's & never go back, Sarah! you are a great mama :) xo